Yesterday, I did a weird sh!t routine that I composed myself.
Does the exercise routine make any sense at all? No it doesn’t.
So why still do it? Because I love these exercises. And that’s all the motivation I needed for yesterday!
The usual warm up:
15sec of each: skipping on the spot (with high knee), jumping jacks, running on the spot, jumping side to side, pushups, crunches, mountain climber, burpees.
According to a research from West Point (no.1 US military school), this warm up can help trainees run faster and jump higher. And I find it a quick way to get my temperature.
4-5 minutes of simple mobility drills e.g. leg swings, arm circles, loosening up the muscles and joints.
5-10 vertical jumps.
I found out that [max effort] jumping or sprinting spikes up my nervous system. There was once, I was so lethargic I actually napped for 10 minutes in the gym before I started training. And became totally groggy. After a few jumps, I’m hyped up, and ready to go!
Here’s the routine. Most are done with 90-120s rest.
1) (push) Inclined DB press –> 13kg, 2×20, 4min rest
2) (legs) Bulgarian split squat –> 35kg bar, 2×10 [fried my legs too soon]
3) (pull) Chin up + face pull super set –> 2x max chin ups + 2lbs 2×10
4) (legs) Pistols –> 1×10 [I feel that I might puke if I did an extra set]
5) (shoulder) Alternating DB upright row –> 13kg 2×10
6) (a$$) Single arm DB swings –> 13kg 2×10 [for the last few reps, my abs were getting sore & my form was getting sloppy]
7) (pull) Self supported DB rows –> 13kg 2×10
8) (a$$) DB snatch –> 13kg 2×10
9) (abs+shoulder) Turkish get-up –> 13kg 2×2 [my grip was giving up from all those DB power movements]
10) (abs) Plank –> 10kg plate, 40sec
(notice that with the exception of 1 & 3, all exercise involves the abs)
It took me approximately 80 minutes to complete. It was actually pretty tough. My heart rate never dropped even with 90s rest between sets. And I’m continuously panting and sucking air. And the weirdest thing is I had a side stitch for a while (those pain on the side when jogging or running). LOL!
After taking a shower, I noticed that I’m in a surprisingly good mood. And I feel refreshed. Like a runners/cardio high!
I’m putting this routine into my permanent programme! Whoever is crazy enough, do try it out too!
P.S. while doing the swings, a dude came over and asked me if I practise Sanda (散打chinese kickboxing). Hah hah! Objective tercapai. I’m looking forward to a fighter’s physique.